Nothing sends me running from a pattern quicker than turned straps. It takes so much time to turn thin shoulder straps, hand bag straps, and belts – Ugh! Today we are going to look at how to sew straps without turning them.
Sewing With Sandi is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and others, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and other websites.
Sizes Doesn’t Matter
You can make straps of all sizes with this method. And all you need to do is a little math.
- Determine how wide you want your finished strap to be
- Multiply that width by 3 and add .5″
- Cut the strap the desired length and the width calculated in the step above.
For example: If you want a 1″ strap – multiply 1″ x 3 = 3″ then add .5″= 3.5″ So you would cut your strap the desired length by 3.5″ wide.
It’s All about Pressing
I have outlined the process below, however, if you are a visual learner, my YouTube video How To Make Straps You Don’t Have To Turn can help.
- If you need a finished end on your strap begin here, otherwise skip to Step 2. For a finished end, fold the raw edge, wrong sides together 1/2″, and press.
2. Press your strap, wrong sides together down the full length.
3. Open your strap back up and lay wrong side up on ironing board.
4. Fold raw edges from left and right side to press line. I like to use glass head pins stuck into my ironing board to secure the fabric in place. Press right over the pins.
5. Remove pins LOL – and refold on original press line. Voila! your strap.
6. Topstitch your straps and enjoy all the time you saved not turning your straps inside right!
The Right Tools For The Job
- Rowenta DG8624U1 Perfect Pro Station 1800 Watts Fast Heat Up, and 430g / min steam Burst, Advanced Technology, Blue” target=”_blank” rel=”noreferrer noopener nofollow”>Rowenta Steamer – This is my favorite sewing tool – it gives all my #MeMade garments a professional look.
- Dritz 61 Glass Head Pins, Extra Fine, 1-3/8-Inch (250-Count)” target=”_blank” rel=”noreferrer noopener nofollow”>Glass Head Pins – They have a narrow shaft and go into the ironing board easily.
- 9 Styles French Metric Ruler, Transparent Sew Curve Metric Shaped Ruler Measure Dressmaking Drawing Drafting Measure Template DIY Sewing Ruler Set Perfect for Designers, Pattern Maker and Tailors” target=”_blank” rel=”noreferrer noopener nofollow”>Rulers – Having the correct ruler for the job is key to getting everything square and even.
Sew This Dress
I used this technique to make the Dunga Dress from Stitched in Wonderland. You can read my Dunga Dress Pattern Review for more info on this adorable jumper.
The fabric is a Camelot Fabric cotton poplin from Minerva.
I hope you picked up a few tips and tricks with this quick and easy method. I enjoying bringing how to sew straps without turning them to you.
Make your garments better with my 21 Tips To Take Your DIY Garment From Homemade To High End
Do you love Sew Alongs and Sewing Tips and Tricks – My Youtube channel Barrett’s Custom Design is filled with great sewing techniques served up with a few laughs.
In my Sewing With Sandi Etsy Shop has over 500 hard to find women’s, men’s, and children’s patterns along with costume and craft patterns. You will find little girls’ bows, a few sewing notions, sewing kits, but mostly lots and lots of patterns.
If you are looking for personalized sewing instruction, one-to-one zoom time, discounts, and exclusive pattern drafting and sewing videos then check out a membership at Sewing With Sandi. We will make beautiful clothes together.